Most diets stress that losing weight for long term must be based on a balanced diet and fruits and vegetables must form part of that. These are nature’s gifts with loads of healthy vitamins and minerals to help our bodies work at their optimum. A recent study published in the International Journal of Chemical Studies has shown that vegetables prevent lots of diseases. In fact the health benefits of fruits and vegetables are settled subject in science and scientific research is in agreement on this subject.
Fruits and vegetables have their benefits which do not need any convincing or arguments. Because of their high fiber content, they are filling so you feel less hungry during the day. They are low calorie foods so you lose weight and they have micronutrients which help you fight diseases.
Dietary guidelines for American recommends that you eat at least 5 cups/servings of fruits and vegetables during a day, based on 2400 calorie diet.
Weight Loss and Fruits and Vegetables
As we noted above, there are two clear benefits of fruits and vegetables which are linked to losing weight:
- low calorie count
- high fiber content
A study of 133,468 men and women of the United States from 1986 to 2010 concluded that there is clear link between eating fruits and vegetables and long term weight loss. However, the study noted that the most benefit comes from eating non-starchy vegetables and fruits like berries, apples, pears, cauliflower tofu, cruciferous and green leafy vegetables.
Another study in Portugal and published in Journal of Behavioral Medicine in April 2017 focused on highly successful weight loss maintainers who lost upto 18 kg and maintained for around 28 months. The study noted that the most frequently reported successful strategy for weight loss by these biggest weight losers was consuming vegetables regularly.
How to Eat More Vegetables and Fruits
The recommendation is to have 5 servings of veggies and fruits (combined). A few people find it not a big task to keep up with. But there are countless others who struggle to attain this goal.
Dieters should definitely enjoy fruits and vegetables because of all the flavors and low calories. You can truly indulge yourself with eating a lot of these and still not worry about accumulating calories. A luxury which is not available with other foods.
While you know that it is important for losing weight and keeping it off that you eat fruits and vegetables but people are not clear about how to embed these in their everyday diet.
So here are a few tips on how you can get your daily recommended servings of these plant based foods:
- Try new foods. Whenever you go for grocery, pick up a new one each time that you haven’t tried out of the diverse variety of fruits and vegetables. Also research healthy recipes to prepare these.
- Get spaghetti squash for actual spaghetti. You will find it delicious and low calorie. Moreover, kids will be delighted to see how you will magically turn squash into noodles after cooking.
- Eat salad at all meals. It is the simplest of ways to add veggies to your diet. Prepare your weekly bowl of salad and eat out of it at every meal.
- Roast vegetables for easy flavor. Delicious roasted veggies are not hard to cook. All you need is a little olive oil, a cookie sheet, sprinkle of salt and pepper. The easiest of ways to add any vegetable to your dinner table.
- Keep raw veggies ready. Most people like to each cauliflower, carrots, snap peas and broccoli with dip. So keep an assortment of these raw vegetables ready. It is not difficult at all to make a healthy yogurt ranch dip to go with these veggies.
- Prepare fresh weekly fruit bowl. It will be easier to add a cup of fruit to your meals if you have it already cut and prepared.
- Save money. Keep an eye for the bargains from the grocery stores for best deals of the weeks. Though fresh fruits and vegetables might be expensive sometimes, but you can remain within your family budget if you avail the shopping sales.